Dentist’s have the worst teeth and … sometimes webby people don’t practice what they preach! That’s been me up until today…
The story I tell my clients about why Blogging makes good sense
You are unique in the world and people want to hear your story. No-one has your experience, set of skills or outlook and this sets you apart from everyone else out there. Blogging helps to get your message to the world!
The more content you provide to your audience the greater the opportunities to grow and be seen as an influencer in your area of expertise.
The personal benefits of blogging:
- You will become a better writer
- You will become a better thinker
- You will inspire others
- You will become more comfortable showing the world who you are
- Its free!
- It’s a platform to share what you are passionate about
- You’ll live a more intentional life
- It’s a journal of your journey (whether personal or business)
- You’ll meet people
- You’ll leave your fingerprint for others to share
- It’s a great rush when you receive a compliment
- If you are writing quality content you will become seen as the expert in your niche
- Increased customer engagement
- Helps Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Humanizes your brand
- It’s a sign of business activity
- Use material for marketing
- Re-purpose your posts for newsletters, e-books, opt-ins
- Show the world the soft (feminine) side of your business
How to start blogging?
In the words of William Wordsworth “to begin, begin.”
The kinds of things you talk about with your friends, colleagues and clients are the topics you could be writing about. If you are passionate about a topic write about that.
Flogging a dead horse – is blogging dead?
Let me reassure you that Blogging is alive and flourishing .. its just changed its face over the years – Facebook and other social media platforms have evolved and the more personal blogging that used to happen on Blog sites has moved over there.
What Google thinks about blogging
The secret about Google that I want to share with you: Google LOVES the SME – that’s you and me! The SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS. The Panda and Penguin algorithms were put in place to eradicate the bad guys who thought they could cheat Google and race to first place in search results. Then came along Hummingbird – this algorithm has got our backs! It wants fresh, new and relevant content and will reward those who provide it.
Don’t worry about keywords, at least not just yet – you will need them to optimise your content if you are serious about getting your message out .. but, honestly, one thing at a time. If you are new to blogging and are writing passionately, your words will already be attracting those who want to read your content.
The story I tell myself about blogging & why I haven’t taken to it – until now!
Fear of failure; fear of success; fear of being ridiculed; fear of being seen as incompetent; fear of my peers judging me and probably a hundred other fears that are welling underneath the surface just begging for me to let them be uncovered.
Nearly everyone has these fears to some extent I would imagine. BUT … what’s the worst that can happen?
- People won’t read it (they’re not reading it now if there is nothing to read)
- You will get some criticism (see that as a good thing! You have written something that has resonated with people!)
Today is the day I face my fears … I would love to hear your thoughts and hear about your experiences with blogging.
“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” — William Wordsworth